In a relatively dry climate, a thin coat of tre-wax™ should be applied once a year. However, in climates with higher humidity, cleaning and waxing is required twice a year.
Unprotected surfaces caused by lack of maintenance, are attacked by corrosive chemicals in the atmosphere. Streaky, uneven or thick patinas are often the result of inadequate care.
If water no longer beads up on the sculpture, it is a good indication that it needs cleaning and waxing.
- Wash the sculpture with a mild non-detergent soap and rinse it thoroughly.
- Once the sculpture is clean, remove any soapy residue with fresh water and a rinsed cloth
- Allow the sculpture to dry completely. You don't want to trap moisture under the wax coating, because the wax acts as a barrier to the air and humidity that can cause the bronze to oxidize and turn green.
- Apply a very thin coat of carnauba tre-wax™ to the surface with a clean bristle brush.
- The wax will dry very quickly, so buffing with a clean soft cloth should be carried out within two to five minutes of application.